I've come to the conclusion that I simply cannot decide if I like this text or not. Jago is constantly going back and forth on topics that I think are really good and bad ideas.
"To the extent that these tests help ensure that every student has had access to a rigorous curriculum, I applaud them." pg 148. Although I am not sure if she has taught in a state that does this, but from a student perspective learning about teaching in those states, they do not deserve applause. As a student the OGT was a joke that the teachers were freaking out about. Now, on my way to becoming a teacher, I fully understand why. But being an honors student in high school, these tests were just a waste of a week. And also, I've heard many teachers complain that since because they are teaching toward a test and a state score they cannot teach in ways that are enjoyable.
But as the chapter continued I really enjoy her teaching activities. In class, we were discussing ways to make lessons more open ended and creative. The Shakespeare Election was a great idea. It was a very neat way to have to students "Close read of the text, Character analysis, Drawing inferences, Application and Evaluation." pg 156. This reminded me of during our mini assessments of our lesson plans on Tuesday we were thinking about how to think about the characters of The Great Gatsby in a different lens, whether it is through the eyes of another narrator, setting or storyline all together.
I feel the same way. I think she makes some really good points, but doesn't really express them or go that in depth, so they are just kind of empty. At the same time, she makes some comments that just irritate me. But I really liked the idea of the Election to. That's a really good way to get students thinking about the characters and the positives and negatives about them.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way to an extent. I do think that the OGT is a joke really, and that all standardized tests prove nothing but who is good at taking tests, but I think that if it wasn't the OGT it would be some other test. I believe that teachers and administrators are so hung up on assessment through testing they are overlooking other forms of assessment. I also agree that there are times I agree with Jago and times that I am like what?
ReplyDeleteI also like Jago's activities, particularly for Julius Caesar.
ReplyDelete