Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chapter 6

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CHAPTER. As most know it is my teaching dream to teach a Shakespeare course, so reading about teaching the Oddessy had me thinking back and forth the entire time. I felt like a lot of this chapter was straight forward but there was a lot of great ideas on how to keep students thinking about character development, thinking about the story piece by piece then later seeing the whole picture, how students can utilize their pasts in order to show their understanding. When thinking about incorperating technology in the classroom, and after seeing the teacher of the year's presentation earlier this semester I began thinking about how I would want my students to show their understand of how to create a summary and still show their comprehesion of a passage of a piece of writing from Shakespeare or Homer. Using the texing website that allows students to show their answers, it would be a neat concept for them to think about trying to summarize writing in 165 characters and still showing that they read the text and understand it. This chapter reminded me of this idea when reading about the studen'ts assignements to compare heroes and use one word answers to describe characters.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how she will ask her students to compare heroes from different pieces of literature. I think this would be a great way to help students understand that heroes are not necessarily archetypes but can also be multi-dimensional and totally different from each other in numerous ways. Poor Beowulf though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas for incorporating multi-modal literacies

    ReplyDelete