Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chapter 4

This chapter is a great way to show how all four learning theories can be put into actions at the same time. At the elements of literature, story structure and literary devices can all but used and taught in different manners, but there are a few theories that shout out to me more than others. For example: elements of literature can be taught with the Langeuage as Artifact where are teacher spits out definations, but it could also be taught with Langauge as Expression. I really enjoyed the example of mixing the elements with futher knowledges yet still giving the student but use their creativey and knowlegde from another resource. I really like that idea of story structures being taught as Language as Development. A teacher can use the Freytag's Pyramid and monitor the student's learning as they read the book. Not only can language theories be put to use here, but also the student's can think further into how the author intended on the book being read. For example: they can create the pyramid in the views of gender issues, or social class. The students can begin to ask questions and try to answer them on their own. Ending with literary devices... leading into poetry :) .... I really like the idea of using graphic organizers and being able to watch the students travel through the text, and prepare them for a stronger more complicated text.

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad you were able to connect the theories to your reading and understanding of Jago’s work.

    ReplyDelete