As this chapter introduces ideas for teaching literature, I couldn't help but think about that a lot of it relates to a conversation the class was having. As the text says:
"One day, two researchers at the same school emerged from third- and eighth-grade classrooms only to discover that they had both observed similar lessons on how to write a paragraph. Many skills need to be revisited and reinforced over time, but the repetition of low-level instruction with little or no development in terms of complexity is troubling indeed" (pg 2).
This takes me back to when Mat was discussing how many students today go into high writing classing, whether it is college or AP English in high school, and they cannot fully analyze a text into greater depths than what has been repeated over and over again in classes. Many times content is correlated to economy and the fact that teachers cannot afford to bring in other texts, but ideas do not cost anything but time and structure.
I really like the fact that Jago points out the benefits of reading classics can still be beneficial in the classroom. It is just reality harder for students to read them and get involved. I agree that harder books should not be put aside because they require work in order for understanding. Personally, I would rather work on harder texts in class and send students home with a young adult book to compare to. They will be able to enjoy and understand classroom discussion if they can relate it back to a novel that relates to them.
I also agree that harder books shouldn't be ignored simply because they are hard. I like your idea of working on harder texts in class and then having an out of class project on a YA novel. I think it would be a really cool way to get the kids reading more.
ReplyDeleteI just about fell off my chair reading the part about the researchers and it made me do a little "yes!" my head because it affirmed I was right. We're just not teaching our kids anything anymore in English classes. Third graders are ~7 and eighth graders are ~13. FIVE YEARS and they're learning the same thing about paragraphs. Schools are failing at failing students who don't get it or put forth the effort.
ReplyDelete-Mat Colwell
It is sad that we can find classrooms at very different levels doing the same work!
ReplyDelete